We’ve focused on building our creative team exclusively out of educated, published creative writers. Our writers are authors, they’re teachers, and above all else they’re experienced professionals. We don’t use freelancers, and we don’t subcontract any writing or strategic work. By mirroring the group model of advanced creative writing degree programs, we’ve cultivated a professional environment that encourages continued skill development, collaboration, and accountability in creative work.
Founder & CEO
Ryan founded Metonymy Media after finding success in his own freelance writing career. He spends his days working on writing and editing projects for clients, supporting business development, and managing marketing initiatives. Ryan often speaks on the value of content marketing and the role of creative writers in business, and co-wrote Nothing New: An Irreverent History of Storytelling and Social Media.
- Before getting into professional writing, Ryan was a guitar instructor.
- Can read and write Latin, and has all but forgotten how to do the same with Koine Greek.
- Was born on a U.S. Air Force station in West Germany.
Director of Accounts and Business Development
Darcy has spent the past ten years in the marketing industry working with clients of all types and sizes. The only member of our team that does not regularly write for clients, she oversees all of Metonymy Media’s client relationships with the purpose of creating long-lasting, mutually-beneficial relationships. She has a knack for identifying opportunities and producing strategies to effectively improve and maximize clients’ marketing efforts.
- Enjoys exploring and supporting local businesses
- Has a motorcycle license (but no bike – yet)
- All-time favorite band: The Beatles
Amber graduated from DePauw University with a dual bachelor’s in Creative Writing and Philosophy in 2009, and went on to complete her MFA in Creative Nonfiction at Northwestern University in 2014. When she isn’t writing, she sews elaborate costumes, plays video games, and explores Indy’s emerging culinary scene. She is also an adjunct professor of English at Ivy Tech Community College.
- Favorite book: East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- Interested in commercial real estate, science writing, and subversion.
- Dreams of one day learning to play “Stairway to Heaven” on her harp.
Natty graduated from Purdue University with a degree in Professional Writing, and has since worked at a variety of different jobs, across several different industries. While still in college, he was an executive reporter for the Purdue Exponent, as well as a senior contributor for electronic music blog The Untz. Following graduation, Natty held corporate positions with both Chipotle and Angie’s List. When he isn’t writing for work, he’s writing very bad poetry, looking at pictures of cats online, or singing and ranting in his band VV Torso. Also, he thinks dogs should vote.
- Never got to see Sonic Youth live and is very sad about that
- Fears he’ll never see the Michigan Wolverines win a national football championship
- Lived in Denver for two years and, yes, it’s exactly what you think it’s like
Ryan received his MA in English from the University of Indianapolis. He has worked as a researcher and writer for io9.com as well as an intern at Metonymy Media back in 2013. Ryan has been teaching for the last seven years as an ESL instructor, Adjunct English instructor for UIndy, as well as an English Instructor in China for two years. While teaching in China his favorite class to teach was Writing In Science Fiction where he taught his class about the dangers of A.I. and why Extra-terrestrials aren’t so bad. When not writing for Metonymy Ryan copy edits books about videos games for Boss Fight Books and enjoys cooking with his wife.
- Celebrates Reggie Miller’s birthday every year
- Has successfully quit buying comic books dozens of times
- Loves Cold War era post-apocalyptic fiction
Content Manager & The Green Room Liaison
Elysia received her MFA from the University of Massachusetts-Boston in poetry, but the focus of her time spent in Boston was on community activism and creating programs for underserved populations. When she isn’t writing for work she’s writing lady-centric poetry about riding her bike into a river to rescue kittens or personas in the voice of women like Calamity Jane or characters from Bewitched. Aside from writing, she does circus performance in aerial silks and contortion or hangs out with her dog, Susan Bean Anthony.
- Loves scary movies like Friday the 13th
- Secretly writes detective fiction
- Believes in magic and can probably guess your astrological sign
HR, Staff Writer Emeritus
Ernest Hemingway got his start as a writer for the Kansas City Star before enlisting as an ambulance driver on the Italian front of the Great War. It was there that he picked up his trademark cynicism and understated style, and his experiences in Italy served as the inspiration for his famous work, A Farewell to Arms. Around the Metonymy offices, Ernest (or Papa, as we all lovingly call him) keeps the rest of the staff in check with his no-nonsense approach to writing.
- Interests include six-toed cats, rum, and divorce
- Never earned a college degree
- Isn’t actually alive anymore