Metonymy Media is looking for a passionate creative writer with a mind for strategic storytelling to join our team as a Content Manager. This is a full-time, salaried position with medical benefits.
For this position, we need someone who is in touch with both sides of their brain. The work of a Content Manager is equal parts right-brained creativity and left-brained organization. When a Content Manager is imagining the perspectives of target readership, when they’re considering how to artfully educate and inspire through blog posts and case studies and ad copy, their right-side runs free. When they switch gears and consider how all of that creative energy can help our clients reach their goals, when they’re building complex content strategies or segmenting audiences for content promotion or sifting through data to learn what works best, that left side takes over. The magic happens when those two parts come together to form one whole, and our talented Content Managers help clients put the written word to work to inspire their target audiences to think and feel and value exactly what those clients intend.
If you’re a skilled writer, but you aren’t willing to learn something new and technical, please don’t apply. We’re also not looking for someone with lots of marketing savvy but minimal skill in writing. Above all else, we’re looking for a new member of a small but growing team, someone who is ready to put in hard work and grow their own abilities. At the same time, you’ll be helping to grow a company dedicated to providing creative writers with the opportunity to use their craft to make a living in a work environment that respects initiative and demands responsibility.
Can you write? Can you learn? Are you looking for a career with a company where you can grow for years to come? Can you give your best, see projects through? And when the work is done, can you hang? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you might be the one we’re looking for.
- Providing creative direction for content strategies
- Researching to gain data and collateral for content
- Creating content plans and editorial calendars in collaboration with work teams
- Writing content
- Managing projects, potentially including client communications
- Editing client content for both style and voice
- Management of Podio (project management software) and content deadlines
- Management of content promotion and marketing automation software, including Mailchimp, Spokal, Twitter, and Facebook Advertising
- A college degree (bachelor’s or above) from an accredited institution in English or creative writing. Please note that for this position, we will only be accepting candidates with these (or equivalent) degrees.
- Applicants should have access to a reliable laptop computer and a reliable means of transportation.
- 2-3 years’ professional experience is preferred. For this position, we’d be especially excited to meet writers who possess professional experience in any of the following:
- Technical Writing
- Financial Writing
- Technology Writing
Culture and Work Environment
- In conjunction with the degree, we’re really looking for someone with an interest in creative writing. Applicants must display a visible interest in literature and creative writing in addition to their educational background.
- Metonymy Media has an open work environment, and job performance is judged based on an employee’s ability to meet deadlines and actively participate in collaborative creative work. Applicants should be highly motivated, organized, responsible, and possess a strong attention to detail.
This position is a salaried, full-time position. In addition to the salary, which may in part be based on applicant experience, Metonymy Media also offers medical benefits.
Send all required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org attached to a single email with the subject line “Content Manager Position 6/2017.” Address your messages to Amber Peckham, Creative Director.
Required Application Materials:
- A professional resume
- A cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, and also detailing the last extravagant, completely frivolous purchase you made.
- A 500- to 600-word, original blog post titled “Three Cybersecurity Risks Every Small Business Owner Needs to Know About.” Please hyperlink all relevant sources within the text and follow other blogging best practices. You can write this into a word doc or your preferred file format. Please do not publish this article online.
- At least one complete, polished creative piece (poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction). A complete portfolio is also acceptable.
- At least one example of research-driven, academic-style writing (this can be from college, or from a more recent project).
Note: failure to supply all requested documents, or to meet basic degree qualifications, will result in removal from consideration.
Applications are due by Friday, June 16. Expect a response the following business week.
About the Company
Metonymy Media is a union of creative writers dedicated to serving companies and agencies with practical and effective content marketing strategies for growth and success. Based in the Fountain Square neighborhood of Indianapolis, the company was founded in 2011 and has experienced continued success writing for organizations in a variety of industries. We all work together in one big room, and we once paid $600 for a bespoke painting of Ernest Hemingway.